Metronome evil annoyance or helful tool?

Basics of Flute Playing, Tone Production and Fingerings, Using Metronomes, Scales, Tone, Studies, etc.

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

flutist001

Post by flutist001 »

I think that it is both. In certain songs it comes in really really usefull, but then other times i feel like throwing it out of the sears tower or the empire state building....LoL!! :roll:
[color=purple]¸.·*¯*·.AkS.·*¯*·.¸[/color]

Burke

Post by Burke »

I've been using the metronome on this site. I don't know if anyone else here does, but it's been useful for me. I don't have the band/music teacher requirements that many of you have. I just use the fluteland metronome to improve my sense of timing.

For reasons of nostalgia, I wish I had one of the old, pyramid shaped metronomes like the kind my piano teacher had when I was a child. I don't know if they make that style any longer, since I haven't shopped for a metronome.

MeLizzard

Post by MeLizzard »

Wittner still makes these, but most teachers don't recommend these any longer, unless you're going to just look at it. They're not super-accurate, for a couple reasons. If they're not perfectly level, like if it's inadvertently placed on the corner of a book or something, the swing won't be the same on each side (lopsided beats). Also, as they age, their little springy-thing becomes worn, loses tension, whatever, and becomes less precise. The quiet 'click' sound is much nicer than the annoying beeps of the digital ones, but the teachers are pretty much recommending the new, irritating, beepy ones :? , which are also lower-priced. Have you heard the counting voice on the big Dr. Beat? One of the saxophonists I know calls it the "mother-in-law" feature! :shock:

Burke

Post by Burke »

I only want one for "show and tell," MeLizzard. Neighborhood children drop by occasionally, and they always seem interested in the things I have of my parent's era, such as my Mom's manual typewriter. They all want to type something on it. That style of metronome seems to fall into the same category.

No, I have not heard the "mother-in-law" feature. What a hoot! I'll assume that you're talking about this: http://www.zzounds.com/item--BOSDB12

MeLizzard

Post by MeLizzard »

It's on the DB-88 (the big one). I love stuff--it definately looks cooler than new stuff (well, frequently, anyway!). Those Wittners are small and plastic, though; not sure where to find a massive wooden one. Ebay? :D

Burke

Post by Burke »

Shade

Post by Shade »

I find that metronomes are extremely useful to use AFTER you've got the basic idea of what you're playing and or for building up speed.

When you're working through a passage of music for the first time, and especially when there's a lot of syncopated notes, it doesn't always do a whole lot of good to sit there and try to play through it with a metronome just yet.

Chances are you can't play it at a decently paced tempo yet, and making the tempo painstakingly slow at first won't help you either(silence is harder than sound to keep track of.) and you may justl end up frustrating yourself.

But for building up speed and accuracy, you can't beat em' :D .

nomusicnolife

Post by nomusicnolife »

its alittle bit of both
no music no life

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

Sometimes if I am having trouble, they are satan.... but most of the time I really find them very useful.

shortandsilly

Post by shortandsilly »

the metronome is my absolute best friend.

squints

Post by squints »

The metronome only helps people who really use it. If the metronome is annoying then shut it off it’s not helping you then.
Huh and who are you?

drumajorchick

Post by drumajorchick »

In my band, the students always say that the metronome is possessd. I personaly think that it is a musicans best friend. No matter how annoying it can be, it is always there when you need something to help you. Kinda like what a "best friend" would do, would'nt you say?
Music is the Fundamental Skill of Life!!!

remnantpark

Post by remnantpark »

Metronome is good in one aspect. Bad in another. (Sorry, I usually give piano as an example. :oops:)

The good thing is, it keeps your music straight. It gives you a better rhythmic sense so it sounds like you know what's going on. Right tempo. Right beat. Etc. That's a good thing. Especially in baroque music. Ex: bach inventions. Now, if you don't have a metronome you could be in big trouble. Because Baroque music demands straight rhythm.

However. :twisted:

It makes your music robotic. When you use the metronome, sometimes, one tends to concentrate on the beat rather than the musical things. So after you stop using the metronome. Your music will sound like just some notes and rhythm.

That's a big no-no.

Ex: In Mozart for an example. When I play piano, I always make sure to use style in my music while using the metronome. Once I use the metronome, I try to make the beat go forward. I don't mean fast, but make the music just move forward so the audience won't feel like the music is going backwards.

Basically, metronome can be a good thing. It's just the way you use it and what you do after using the metronome.

I know it's annoying, but it really lays a foundation in your piece/whatever. Use it well in the /right way/!

flutepicc06

Post by flutepicc06 »

You've got it right on, Remnantpark. However, baroque music can move the pulse slightly within the beat, and even change overall, as long as it's done appropriately.

Meredith

Post by Meredith »

remnantpark wrote: It makes your music robotic. When you use the metronome, sometimes, one tends to concentrate on the beat rather than the musical things. So after you stop using the metronome. Your music will sound like just some notes and rhythm.

That's a big no-no.
While I do agree with your point, I don't think it's fair to make the statement so sweepingly universal.

While playing with a metronome can have a tendancy to make music sound "robotic", the ability to play in this robotic manner is a skill that every musician needs to master before moving on to more stylistic, interpretive work. Not only does it help one to develop an internal pulse, but it is critical to ensemble work -- be it as a soloist with an orchestra, a member of a wind ensemble, or simply keeping in time with your accompanist. Every musician should learn and master the skill of playing an even beat before switching off their metronome and focusing on the more "musical things."

(Remnant Park, I think you were trying to get at this point in your post, and may have just articulated it differently.)
Desperately Seeking Powell Flute #9777.

If you have ANY information on its whereabouts, please PM me!