Circular Breathing...

Advanced Technique, Performance Questions, Auditions, Recording, etc.

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

omegasquarez

Circular Breathing...

Post by omegasquarez »

I think i need to learn how to do circular breathing cuz the slurs in my pieces keep getting longer and longer. But i dun wanna cut the slurs. Any help?
:arrow: Attack of The Floating Blob Thingy!!! :shock:

MeLizzard

Post by MeLizzard »

Eek, what are you playing? Slurs aren't sacred, anyway. Can you make the phrases sound musical by placing the breaths elsewhere? Circular breathing seems to work better for, well, clarinetists, for example, as their instruments provide more resistance than flute. :)

amhso

Post by amhso »

there's a book at amazon on circular breathing for flutists...but circular breathing is usually a technique for reed instruments.

kateJ

Re: Circular Breathing...

Post by kateJ »

omegasquarez wrote:I think i need to learn how to do circular breathing cuz the slurs in my pieces keep getting longer and longer. But i dun wanna cut the slurs. Any help?
It's doable on the flute. Hubert (Laws) used to do it pretty well. Got to first learn to blow with your cheeks out, then push the air out with your cheeks while breathing in. You need to get a high level of stamina and breath control before even attempting it.

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

Absolutely. I would like to learn, and I think I will eventually buy the book that Robert Dick wrote on this subject. However, I will put it off for a while, seeing as how this isnt a critical skill [even though it could be VERY useful]. But, in regards to the slur thing..... take a breath, and utilize a tongueless attack. like 'poo' or 'hoo'

flutepicc06

Post by flutepicc06 »

kateJ wrote:
omegasquarez wrote:I think i need to learn how to do circular breathing cuz the slurs in my pieces keep getting longer and longer. But i dun wanna cut the slurs. Any help?
It's doable on the flute. Hubert (Laws) used to do it pretty well. Got to first learn to blow with your cheeks out, then push the air out with your cheeks while breathing in. You need to get a high level of stamina and breath control before even attempting it.
It's doable, but IMHO, not worth the time it takes to learn. There are VERY few instances where you need it, and most people who can do it say it takes around a year of practice to do it well. As Melizzard said, slurs are not sacred, and you can almost always insert a breath somewhere...Circular breathing is pretty much a party trick of sorts. The time you spend practicing circular breathing could be MUCH better spent on other parts of playing, but that's just my $.02.

sidekicker

Post by sidekicker »

flutepicc06 wrote:It's doable, but IMHO, not worth the time it takes to learn.
I couldn't agree more. It's nowhere near a necessary skill to acquire in playing the flute. Definitely not worth the time for something that maybe "cool", but totally unnecessary. I've never been, nor will I ever be, impressed by flutists who can (or claim to be able to) circular breathe.

Spend your time working up JeanJean etudes instead. :-)

SK

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

Absolutely. I have really considered learning this technique, and it is one of the last things on my list to learn how to do. I would be served much better by studying a new orchestral excerpt than learning how to breathe oddly.

But, I do think it could be useful if done well [ orchestra auditions etc. ***longer phrases***], but it is by no means a critical skill.

flutegeek1992

Post by flutegeek1992 »

I attended Robert Dick's masterclass at the NFA convention on circular breathing. It is a neat thing to do--but not completly nessecary. I would advise you to work on other aspects of the flute first. THEN, you can take the time needed to learn circular breathing. I can do it somewhat well. It is beyond hard though.