good technical piece

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

shortandsilly

good technical piece

Post by shortandsilly »

i guess that is what i would say it is...

my band is playing a piece called Havendance this year..it is supposedly a classic (not classic as in old..but classic as in it is a very played piece)..anyway, though it is not considered as hard as our piece Chorale and Shaker Dance last year, it definitely surpasses it as far as rythems, syncapation and counting go...well on the flute part anyway. it is a really fun piece..we haven't started playing it yet but i am looking at my music and am really pleased with how challenging it looks. when they first played a recording of it to us, i thought "yuck, that sounds like a marching arrangement" but now I am really excited. Has anyone else ever played this piece or have you heard of it? open for conversation to this piece(:

oh yeah..and if you HAVE played it, HOW DO YOU KEEP UP..lol

shortandsilly

Post by shortandsilly »

oh and does anybody know any quick alternate fingerings to the [triple-tt sixteenth] notes b-c-d-e (all naturals)..or should i just work on my scales?

thnks

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

I havent played the piece, but I do have a trick fingering for you [although it would be best if you played it with the proper fingerings].

This is if you are starting on A2 and going up to the high E natural [the one that most people have trouble keeping in tune].

Do normal fingerings for b-c-d-[high d] then finger A natural, but over blow it. It will cause the flute to play the harmonic which is E natural.

However, it always sounds better to play any passage without cheating. So, just grit your teeth and practice! :wink:

flutepicc06

Post by flutepicc06 »

Practicing your scales is the best way to go. It's just a fragment of a C Major scale, so it's not even a very difficult one to practice. If it is in the high register, you can use other harmonics (like fingering G and overblowing it to D, etc.) as well, but I would save that until you have completely exhausted any chance of getting the runs by practicing.
However, it always sounds better to play any passage without cheating. So, just grit your teeth and practice!
Hopefully you won't be gritting your teeth WHILE practicing, though....That'd be bad for the ol' tone. ;)

amourdelaflute

Post by amourdelaflute »

Hi! My band played Havendance last year for festival. After we learned it right it wasn't a matter of keeping up it was trying not to rush the rythms that was our greatest challenge.
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence. ~Leopold Stokowski

shortandsilly

Post by shortandsilly »

fluteguy18 wrote:I havent played the piece, but I do have a trick fingering for you [although it would be best if you played it with the proper fingerings].

This is if you are starting on A2 and going up to the high E natural [the one that most people have trouble keeping in tune].

Do normal fingerings for b-c-d-[high d] then finger A natural, but over blow it. It will cause the flute to play the harmonic which is E natural.

However, it always sounds better to play any passage without cheating. So, just grit your teeth and practice! :wink:

wow, you are amazing. that is just what i need. (it's so fast that i don't think anyone will even have the chance to notice..and it is just one right after another (or set of sixteenth triple-tts anyway) and my flute section isn't that great..so playing it period would be appreciated--or at least for now..we have a while until contest)

flutepicc06 wrote:Practicing your scales is the best way to go. It's just a fragment of a C Major scale, so it's not even a very difficult one to practice. If it is in the high register, you can use other harmonics (like fingering G and overblowing it to D, etc.) as well, but I would save that until you have completely exhausted any chance of getting the runs by practicing.

and yes, i know i am a lazy flute slacker and should just practice the scales more..but i will--i promise lol..but until then..the alternate fingerings will hopefully get me by. oh and yes, it is in the high register. i officially love harmonics, thnks.

amourdelaflute wrote:Hi! My band played Havendance last year for festival. After we learned it right it wasn't a matter of keeping up it was trying not to rush the rythms that was our greatest challenge.

oh, i am so excited and so scared. it's not often that we get a piece with this much syncapation...anyway, did you compete with it? how did it go? i would love to hear more of your experience...:D

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

shortandsilly wrote:
fluteguy18 wrote:I havent played the piece, but I do have a trick fingering for you [although it would be best if you played it with the proper fingerings].

wow, you are amazing. that is just what i need. (it's so fast that i don't think anyone will even have the chance to notice..and it is just one right after another (or set of sixteenth triple-tts anyway) and my flute section isn't that great..so playing it period would be appreciated--or at least for now..we have a while until contest)

Well, I dont know about amazing.... but I will say that I do enjoy finding trick fingerings and extended techniques. So, just consider it as a hobby of mine. :wink:

shortandsilly

Post by shortandsilly »

fluteguy18 wrote:
shortandsilly wrote:

Well, I dont know about amazing.... but I will say that I do enjoy finding trick fingerings and extended techniques. So, just consider it as a hobby of mine. :wink:

lol i have to thnk you for my band nerdyness coming out first thing friday morning lol. I woke up and the first thing that came to my mind was oh my gosh, i have to tell [a girl in my section] that lifesaving trick finguring ha ha:p

flutytooty91

Post by flutytooty91 »

I am in the same band as amourdelaflute. I found this piece fun and not too challenging after learning it.
Toot the Flute!

shortandsilly

Post by shortandsilly »

we played through the entire piece today at the written tempo [160] with very few mistakes. it is finally getting easier..we have been back to school for one week now and we got it the week before we got out of school in december so it was pretty exciting. our band director told us today that "if you guys told me you would be playing it like this in just three weeks i would have said you were crazy." it felt pretty good to hear him say that. (:

amourdelaflute

Post by amourdelaflute »

shortandsilly wrote:

flutepicc06 wrote:Practicing your scales is the best way to go. It's just a fragment of a C Major scale, so it's not even a very difficult one to practice. If it is in the high register, you can use other harmonics (like fingering G and overblowing it to D, etc.) as well, but I would save that until you have completely exhausted any chance of getting the runs by practicing.

and yes, i know i am a lazy flute slacker and should just practice the scales more..but i will--i promise lol..but until then..the alternate fingerings will hopefully get me by. oh and yes, it is in the high register. i officially love harmonics, thnks.

amourdelaflute wrote:Hi! My band played Havendance last year for festival. After we learned it right it wasn't a matter of keeping up it was trying not to rush the rythms that was our greatest challenge.

oh, i am so excited and so scared. it's not often that we get a piece with this much syncapation...anyway, did you compete with it? how did it go? i would love to hear more of your experience...:D

Yes, we competed with it in Florida and got second place with a score of 96. We also used it as our Festival piece and received ones.

You can go to this website and listen to it to practice. That is how I learned it, by playing along with the recording. http://www.auburnschools.org/ahs_band/
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence. ~Leopold Stokowski

shortandsilly

Post by shortandsilly »

Yes, we competed with it in Florida and got second place with a score of 96. We also used it as our Festival piece and received ones.

You can go to this website and listen to it to practice. That is how I learned it, by playing along with the recording. http://www.auburnschools.org/ahs_band/[/quote]

that is good to hear. i hope we do well too. [i'm sure we will..there is too much pressure not to. my band program has 27 consecutive sweepstakes and we are hoping to keep it going]. but yes, i have the recording on my myspace, on my ipod, on my computer and i listen to it far too much. i'm glad you guys did so well; congratulations.

remnantpark

Post by remnantpark »

Wow, congratulations!!! (I know it's kinda late...)

liv4music

Re: good technical piece

Post by liv4music »

shortandsilly wrote:i guess that is what i would say it is...

my band is playing a piece called Havendance this year..it is supposedly a classic (not classic as in old..but classic as in it is a very played piece)..anyway, though it is not considered as hard as our piece Chorale and Shaker Dance last year, it definitely surpasses it as far as rythems, syncapation and counting go...well on the flute part anyway. it is a really fun piece..we haven't started playing it yet but i am looking at my music and am really pleased with how challenging it looks. when they first played a recording of it to us, i thought "yuck, that sounds like a marching arrangement" but now I am really excited. Has anyone else ever played this piece or have you heard of it? open for conversation to this piece(:

awhh I LOVE Chorale and Shaker Dance. I played it at All State last year and it's so fun to play!

shortandsilly

Re: good technical piece

Post by shortandsilly »

liv4music wrote:
shortandsilly wrote:i guess that is what i would say it is...

awhh I LOVE Chorale and Shaker Dance. I played it at All State last year and it's so fun to play!

lol it is definitely that. it was such a fun piece to put together. it's just different(: