Flute ensemble

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

*camillelucia*

Flute ensemble

Post by *camillelucia* »

Hi everyone! I've been asked to run a flute ensemble for beginner flute players (ranging from complete novices to about grade 2/3) and I was just looking for any suggestions as to what music we could be playing, as a group of 11-14 year-olds. Currently, the majority of the group are working from a very basic level book, but I was just wondering if there was any very simple yet decent sounding and easy to put together repertoire for about 10 flutes.

Thanks in advance,
Camille :D

P.S Sorry if my English isn't always completely accurate!
Last edited by *camillelucia* on Sun May 27, 2007 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

fluttiegurl

Post by fluttiegurl »

I would suggest starting with some easy flute trios (Yamaha has a decent trio book that is very easy to find). One thing that you will run into is the fact that they will probably not be used to playing different parts. Start with songs that have everyone playing the same rhythm, for instance, to help them with confidence. Also spread the older students out (don't put them all on the same part). Once they can play the trios with no problems, start looking for some easy piaces. I always try a grade lower than they are playing in band because it gives the students time to adjust to playing a part alone. Also, keep in mind the level of your weakest player. If you can't find anything you like, try arranging something. Hymns are great for this, if you can do that with this particular group. Even easy band pieces can be arranged for flute choir. I recently took a band arragement of "God Bless America" and arranged it for flute choir so my summer group can play it. I concentrated on the main parts (flute, trumpet, french horn and trombone in this particular piece) and used them as a guide. Don't forget to transpose!

I have been working with small flute ensembles for a long time, and I have not found any music that I love for this type of multi-age group. I started arranging things myself, and now that is all I do. When you arrange the music yourself, it gives you the liberty to consider all levels of playing and make at least one part easy enough for your weakest player while maintaining the interest of the strongest players. It also allows you to change things as needed :lol:

sinebar

Re: Flute ensemble

Post by sinebar »

*camillelucia* wrote:Hi everyone! I'v been asked to run a flute ensemble for beginner flute players (ranging from complete novices to about grade 2/3) and I was just looking for any suggestions as to what music we could be playing, as a group of 11-15 year-olds. Currently, the majority of the group are working from a very basic level book, but I was just wondering if there was any very simple yet decent sounding and easy to put together repertoire for about 10 flutes.

Thanks in advance,
Wow! I wish I could find a beginner level flute ensemble in my area. That would be great. Well one for adult beginners I should say. Good luck with it.

*camillelucia*

Post by *camillelucia* »

fluttiegurl,
Thanks very much for your advice - it will be really useful :D
I was thinking of perhaps arranging a piece called Last Rose of Summer, but if it is too difficult for them I think that they can just play something they all know from the books together. Our school doesn't have a band (we are not in America) but they do all have the same teacher, so I guess he could work with them on a one-to-one basis, as could I. Thanks again!

Sinebar,
unless you live in rural France where my group will take place :wink: why don't you get in touch with some other flute players in your area and see if you could set up a group which could meet up regularly?

flutepicc06

Re: Flute ensemble

Post by flutepicc06 »

sinebar wrote:
*camillelucia* wrote:Hi everyone! I'v been asked to run a flute ensemble for beginner flute players (ranging from complete novices to about grade 2/3) and I was just looking for any suggestions as to what music we could be playing, as a group of 11-15 year-olds. Currently, the majority of the group are working from a very basic level book, but I was just wondering if there was any very simple yet decent sounding and easy to put together repertoire for about 10 flutes.

Thanks in advance,
Wow! I wish I could find a beginner level flute ensemble in my area. That would be great. Well one for adult beginners I should say. Good luck with it.
If you're in America, I would check the NFA website (nfaonline.org). They have lists of flute ensembles and clubs all across the country.

fluttiegurl

Post by fluttiegurl »

Camille,

Glad to be of help. Good luck with your ensemble! Be sure to keep us posted.

*camillelucia*

Post by *camillelucia* »

Just a small update!
My flute emsemble met for the first time today, and we are practising a very simple duet (but with more than one playing each part), which does sound very nice! I think it will not take us too long for it to sound really polished, and my music teacher at my school would like us to play in the yearly concert which is on June 28!!!

Thanks once more for all the advice :D

Camille

MonikaFL

Post by MonikaFL »

That's great Camille!
Visit [url=http://www.monikadurbin.com/formiapress]Formia Press[/url] to check out my compositions and arrangements for flute and more.

*camillelucia*

Post by *camillelucia* »

Hello again!
Thanks for your support! As I said before, the group is in the concert next Thursday, and we have been working on dynamics and how to come on/ off the stage, bowing etc. To make it a bit more interesting, I am playing the first part up an octave, two more are playing it at normal pitch, and the other 3 are playing the second part. Is there anything else we could do to make the piece even better? (We have about 1 hour of rehearsing left)
Thank you again!
Camille

PS I just realised I never introduced myself :oops: - I'm 15, a girl and I play flute, piano + harp. For the people who don't know about my name - it's pronounced like cami (rhyming with French famille) :D

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

Bonjour! :wink: Je le comprend exactement. And YAY! another HARPIST! That makes 4 of us I believe:

fluteguy [me, or also known as Adam]
MonikaFL
Briolette
and you Camillelucia

YAY!

Sorry.... I get excited when I find other harpists. Besides those here on the board, I only know three in my area so it gets kind of lonely.

fluttiegurl

Post by fluttiegurl »

camillelucia,

first let me say congratulations yet again! I have been out of town for a while, and have been a little out of the loop. I was so happy to read that you are close to your actual performance!

As for making it better, just make absolute sure that your group is ready. Lots of practice getting on and off stage, bowing (if you choose to do so), etc will make them feel more comfortable with the performance.

If the piece that you are playing repeats, try playing the repeat a bit differently (maybe adding parts as you go or changing octaves).

Good luck and have fun!

*camillelucia*

Post by *camillelucia* »

Thank you!!
Yes, that is good advice and I really appreciate it :D What I plan to do is play the first part at normal pitch for the first time around and then go to me playing it up the octave at the repeat, with the others playing it at normal pitch. (I hope this makes sense :? ) We will have a rehearsal time on the stage where I will go through the bowing and moving stands etc, so that part should go OK!
Thank you again!!
Camille

Hoshi_Flute

Post by Hoshi_Flute »

fluteguy18 wrote:Bonjour! :wink: Je le comprend exactement. And YAY! another HARPIST! That makes 4 of us I believe:

fluteguy [me, or also known as Adam]
MonikaFL
Briolette
and you Camillelucia

YAY!

Sorry.... I get excited when I find other harpists. Besides those here on the board, I only know three in my area so it gets kind of lonely.
How interesting! Make that five. I also play harp. I own a Thormahlen Serenade and a "mint" Flatsicle. Do you other four harpers play lever or pedal, or perhaps even both?

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

YAY! FIVE! :D

I currently play a musicmaker's Studio harp and will [hopefully] upgrade to either a Salvi Ana, or another Musicmaker's "Gothic" 36. Even though the musicmaker's harps are in kit form, I am very surprised by the sound quality. Being a kit, I expected mediocre quality, but I haven't played another 29 string harp that sounds better than the one I have now. So even though it isn't a full 5 octaves, it does the job for now.

So, that should answer the lever/pedal question. I would love to play a pedal harp, but an instrument that is that expensive is outside of my price range. However, should the occasion arise that I do move up to a pedal harp, my harp teacher has gone ahead and trained my technique to be pedal harp technique, so the switch shouldn't be that difficult if/when it happens.