Playing f#

Advanced Technique, Performance Questions, Auditions, Recording, etc.

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

BlackSakura

Playing f#

Post by BlackSakura »

Am I going to hell for playing F# with the 2nd finger as opposed to the 3rd finger? Hmm...

thermodynomite

Post by thermodynomite »

I wouldn't think you're "going to hell" per say....

but you surely might be out of pitch.

etgohomeok

Post by etgohomeok »

Yes :P Just kidding.

The 2nd finger doesn't have good sound. It's the clarinet fingering for that equivalent note, and doesn't work as well as the 3rd finger on the flute.

BlackSakura

Post by BlackSakura »

The reason I've been playing it that way is because I am having some horrible ergonomic problems with my right hand. I have the exact same problem on oboe (my primary inst). I went ahead and bought a ton kooiman thumb rest and it helps but doesn't solve the problem. I really don't know what to do.

vampav8trix

Post by vampav8trix »

I tend to play it that way in fast passages but mostly in the third register. My F# tends to be really sharp and playing it with the middle finger flattens it out. I can't adjust my embrouchre fast enough to flatten it out when I am zipping along.

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

You really just have to learn to use the third finger F#. It is a pain for a long time, but after a while, it isn't a big deal.

And on the subject of ergonomics....

I haven't tried the ton kooiman. I tried similiar things, and they did nothing for me. But, the Thumbport made a world of a difference in my technique.

Dusk

Post by Dusk »

I liked life more before I knew that the third finger was the better fingering. As a clarinet player, I was rather irked that there was yet another deviation from the fingering comparisons that I had derived from my other instrument.
Honor is for the living; death has none.

OdetteBrion

Post by OdetteBrion »

The only time I would use the second finger for F# would be if my third finger had a serious cramp and nobody in the audience was looking. I know the third finger is a little more troublesome (a.k.a. not lazy lol) but just get to the point where you are comfortable playing F# with it, and then it won't seem like a fingering to avoid or dread. There's a concerto by J.J. Quantz (Concerto in G Major) which is rather embedded with F# trills... plus it's fun to play because it whizzes by rather quickly. A few years ago I learned very fast that I had to be comfortable with the third finger, or else my flute teacher would turn purple in the face. Also, I don't know if this will help, but when I have to do an F# trill now, I think of fireworks going off. :wink:

vampav8trix

Post by vampav8trix »

I just got a Muramatsu. I was playing yesterday and I played an F# with my middle finger and was shocked. There was a huge difference in sound with this flute. No more cheating.

With the Yamaha it was hardly noticeable.

Dusk

Post by Dusk »

OdetteBrion wrote:The only time I would use the second finger for F# would be if my third finger had a serious cramp and nobody in the audience was looking. I know the third finger is a little more troublesome (a.k.a. not lazy lol) but just get to the point where you are comfortable playing F# with it, and then it won't seem like a fingering to avoid or dread. There's a concerto by J.J. Quantz (Concerto in G Major) which is rather embedded with F# trills... plus it's fun to play because it whizzes by rather quickly. A few years ago I learned very fast that I had to be comfortable with the third finger, or else my flute teacher would turn purple in the face. Also, I don't know if this will help, but when I have to do an F# trill now, I think of fireworks going off. :wink:
One should never fear a fingering. They can't hurt you or anything...
Honor is for the living; death has none.

atoriphile

Post by atoriphile »

vampav8trix wrote:I just got a Muramatsu. I was playing yesterday and I played an F# with my middle finger and was shocked. There was a huge difference in sound with this flute. No more cheating.

With the Yamaha it was hardly noticeable.
I also play a Muramatsu and have the same experience. There is a significant difference in both pitch and tone, at least for me.