What kind of flute is the best to have?

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

fluttiegurl

Post by fluttiegurl »

I feel that the split E can be an unnecessary waste of money.

I don't recommend the split E to students because I think it is important for them to learn to play the high E on their own. They can also be a mechanical issue for some flutes - they tend to stick and get out of adjustment, and add extra weight to the flute (though the amount is quite small). I have seen instances where it has made some notes out of tune on some flutes, and some alternate fingerings (i.e. trills) won't work.

With all of that said, I have one flute with a split E. I absolutely love that flute and have had no mechanical problems with it :) However, I have developed enough as a player that it is not necessary, and I can play the high E fine on the other flutes. I feel that playing the E (or any other note for that matter) is fundamental. The tone exercizes that I give out focus on making each note sound equal in quality and intonation. By playing these slowly and listening very carefully, students find that the subtle changes they make for each note come much more quickly as they progress. In other words, they learn how to play difficult notes without believing they are difficult.

powayflute01

Post by powayflute01 »

I feel that the split E can be an unnecessary waste of money.

I don't recommend the split E to students because I think it is important for them to learn to play the high E on their own. They can also be a mechanical issue for some flutes - they tend to stick and get out of adjustment, and add extra weight to the flute (though the amount is quite small). I have seen instances where it has made some notes out of tune on some flutes, and some alternate fingerings (i.e. trills) won't work.

With all of that said, I have one flute with a split E. I absolutely love that flute and have had no mechanical problems with it Smile However, I have developed enough as a player that it is not necessary, and I can play the high E fine on the other flutes. I feel that playing the E (or any other note for that matter) is fundamental. The tone exercizes that I give out focus on making each note sound equal in quality and intonation. By playing these slowly and listening very carefully, students find that the subtle changes they make for each note come much more quickly as they progress. In other words, they learn how to play difficult notes without believing they are difficult.
My teacher believes exactly the same thing. She also thinks that the split E also gives the tone quality of the E a slightly more airy sound. Did you know that they can be disabled? She has all of her students disable them...
Haha, this one is my favorite: :shock:
[size=75]I <3 LXA[/size]

Claiken

Post by Claiken »

whoever made this puppy was thinking:

[img]http://img63.exs.cx/img63/7006/TrueTalent.jpg[/img]

Kendall

Post by Kendall »

This is called an upright flute.

It's incredibly unique, it gives you the oppurtunity to hear the sound equally in BOTH ears. Which can help your tone A LOT. I had a teacher who used one due to her chronic pain in her arms that stopped her from being able to hold the flute up right.

It has a ton of contraptions to make it easier to play in the position, straps, clips buttons, anything you can think of. They are great!
Kendall

Claiken

Post by Claiken »

its cool cuz u can c what ur doing too! u cant on a regular flute
[img]http://img63.exs.cx/img63/7006/TrueTalent.jpg[/img]