What other instruments do you play?

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

MeLizzard

Post by MeLizzard »

Of COURSE, piccolo counts as a separate instrument! :wink: Wow, you guys must be incredibly busy! :) Are you all really playing these other instruments, or kinda dabbling? :o When asked, I usually say I play flute and piccolo, though I did a woodwind pedagogy degree that includes bassoon (my "second" instrument--very fun!), sax, clarinet, and oboe, and I occasionally accompany easy pieces on piano for young students. While I know how these instruments all work, and can produce at least good intermediate-player type results with each, and have even played bassoon and bari sax in public more than once, I'm incredibly reluctant to say I "play" all of them, 'cause my peers who play these instruments all sound so great! Also tried trombone once in high school, but decided why switch for marching band? (So the band could present the illusion of a large brass section, with still not-great playing so it would appear the section was even-less-good than it already was? :oops: Kinda ridiculous. Sound better on picc, lol.) Not a bad experience, learned something new, and didn't harm my flute playing, but, again, I knew what that instrument's SUPPOSED to sound like. French horn in brass class worked ok, too. Oh, well, have fun! :D

Phineas

Post by Phineas »

Main Instruments
Guitar 30+years
Flute 15 years
Piccolo 2 years

Dabbles on(and sight reads)
Piano
Bass

Use to play...
Cello
Saxophone(Alto/Tenor)
Tuba
Trombone

Most of these instruments came from my days and times in high school when the instruments were around. I did a lot of experimenting! I would have started flute earlier in life, but a boy in public school, and playing flute just do not mix!. After I got out of the USMC, I really did not care if someone thought I was gay for being a flute player. As long as they dont put their hands on me!

Now adays, I play flute on more gigs than guitar. Even though I am a technically better guitarist, people like my flute playing better. I guess that is because I play flute like I like to hear it.

Phineas

Mango

Post by Mango »

My first instrument was technically the trumpet, which I played for three days in starting band four years ago. My friend Adrien and I swapped instruments for a bit. Our prents got mad and made us swap back. So then I was back to Soprano clarinet, which I played for the next year and a half. Then I found my absolute love of all instruments, the Bass clarinet, which I have now played for three and a half years and will always play. I re-picked up trumpet last year, and just picked up flute oh, two days ago. I also dabble in alto saxophone, but have no idea what notes I'm playing when I play them.
Have you hugged your Bass Clarinet section today?

MeLizzard

Post by MeLizzard »

Low reeds so fun! :D

LaDanseuse

Post by LaDanseuse »

haha, I don't consider myself to legitimately *play* these instruments, but I have tinkered on them for some time:

piano/keyboard - great to sing along to, though my fingers are horribly uncoordinated
percussion - mostly mallets, which are a lot of fun, though I sucked at it, but none of the stuff that actually requires skill (snare, timpani)
guitar - way back in the music class of seventh grade, I remember it giving my fingers a lot of pain. I don't think I know how to play this anymore....
recorder - does this count as an instrument? :lol:
my voice - again, something I'm not great at, but I like singing when nobody's listening :wink:

Funny how none of these include the piccolo. I should really learn it sometime...

But if I were to play an instrument other than flute, I'd pick oboe. It sounds so cool! (when played well, of course)

MeLizzard

Post by MeLizzard »

yeah, recorder counts! Lots of cool pieces were written for it, particularly in the Renaissance and Baroque style periods. Some nice wooden recorders can costs hundreds of $$$, not like those things we played in elementary school, lol.

Claiken

Post by Claiken »

i play piano, and used to play recorder in gradeskool :lol:
[img]http://img63.exs.cx/img63/7006/TrueTalent.jpg[/img]

wonderflute

Post by wonderflute »

piano-1 year
flute-4 years
piccolo-1 year
harmonica-6 years
guitar- 1 month
not a lot, not too long, but dang, I am good on 'da flute! :D :wink:
are you suggesting coconuts migrate?!!

Drummer_Girl

Post by Drummer_Girl »

i think its quite obvious by my screen name what instrument i play :mrgreen:
been playin drum set for about 8 years, also played the lead snare drum in marching band, and im in a street percussion band called the Kookaburra Allstars samba band.
i play mallet percussion, trumpet, and kayboard

and of course the flute. jus picked that up a week ago
___,,,,__________________Q_Q_Q_\_Q____________,_;_=====,___,
(___()_________)_____,_O_O_~_~_~====_PPPP____Q_Q__G__G____)
'

ClariFlute

Post by ClariFlute »

Flute --- 2 Years
Clarinet -- About 5 months
Keyboard/Piano---About 2-3 Years
I can play a few songs on the violin and trumpet. I really want to learn to play the cello and the bassoon,too.

ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

I don't actually play the boehm (classical) flute yet, I just bought mine, and it has not yet arrived.

I play the Electric guitar primarily and I play the classical guitar a bit. I love to play the electric bass, but I've never owned one, so I dunno how much it counts (my p.laying is solid, but not amazing). I play the Tin whistle pretty well, and I am currently dabbling in Cello and Irish flute.

I also pull out my Banjo, from time to time. I'm just a strummer on the banjo though. :D

I uh... sing... also.
How did I get here?

Drummer_Girl

Post by Drummer_Girl »

cool ninjaaron... i like banjo :D

theobald boehm was the guy that invented the key system for the flute, instead of open holes (like a recorder..) b4 that
also put a system of keys like this to the clarinet aswell..

http://www.flutehistory.com/Instrument/Boehm.php3
___,,,,__________________Q_Q_Q_\_Q____________,_;_=====,___,
(___()_________)_____,_O_O_~_~_~====_PPPP____Q_Q__G__G____)
'

Jim_P

Post by Jim_P »

I started with the Boehm-system flute, picked up recorder, then whistle, then Baroque flute, then an old 8-key German (simple-system) flute.

Now my pride and joy is a lovely Hamilton 6-key in blackwood.

I love Irish trad music and early music, especially Renaissance.

--James

ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

Drummer_Girl wrote:cool ninjaaron... i like banjo :D

theobald boehm was the guy that invented the key system for the flute, instead of open holes (like a recorder..) b4 that
also put a system of keys like this to the clarinet aswell..
I had heard something about that...
How did I get here?

JTF

Instruments

Post by JTF »

Hm, interesting to find so many jack-of-all-instruments here... I play few instruments, compared to some people here, but the time i devote to each one makes it all work out, lol.
Piano is my main instrument, been playing that for years. I play Bari Sax for band, and im in our all-state marching band on Tenor Sax.
My last instrument is the flute, lol... picked that up on free time because of my interest in Tull music.