Hi i am new here and i have a something to ask.

Basics of Flute Playing, Tone Production and Fingerings, Using Metronomes, Scales, Tone, Studies, etc.

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

flute_lover

Hi i am new here and i have a something to ask.

Post by flute_lover »

Hi,
I am new here and I am also very new to the flute. But first of all I have a question to ask on how do you breathe into the flute. I know that when you breathe you should not inflate your lungs but your diaphragm, but the real question is, do you collapse your diaphragm at the last of your breathe and breath again? Or do you keep your diaphragm inflated and without collapsing your diaphragm you breathe again? Or do you slowly collapse your diaphragm allowing more air out then breathe? :?

Caroline_Fluter

Post by Caroline_Fluter »

Especially as a beginning flute player, you *always* want to keep your diaphragm strong! This is called "supporting." Support and think about inflating you lungs (and not your diaphragm) when you take in air.

hope this helps!
---caroline

Caroline_Fluter

Post by Caroline_Fluter »

One other thing.. inflating your lungs doesn't mean taking huge obnoxious breaths in; it just means quickly filling up with air. You should *feel* this action in your diaphragm but you should not change your diaphragm.. it should *always always always* be strong. what changes is how much air you physically have in your lungs.

---caroline

LaDanseuse

Post by LaDanseuse »

And another quick thing: you don't ever "breathe into the flute," you blow across it :D

Good luck! I hope you find flute playing to be very fun and gratifying!

flute_lover

Post by flute_lover »

Hi,
and thanks for all the tips and answers, I really appreciate it. Thanks again.
:D

flute_lover

Post by flute_lover »

O one more thing, I am still confuse about whether to collapse your diaphragm to breathe again or not to collapse and breathe? :?

MeLizzard

Post by MeLizzard »

Our diaphragm is an involuntary muscle (we don't control it---thank God, we'd all die if we actually had to initiate and control it's function :shock: ), so, really, it's our abdominal muscles we use to control our breathing when playing a wind instrument. Keep your ribcage expanded after your first big breath when beginning to play, and maintain good, "tall" posture (think "ballerina"), but not strained or exaggerated--stay flexible and relaxed. It takes too much time (and energy) to have to re-expand the intercostal muscles, between our ribs, for each breath we take. Do use your abs to support your airstream, kind of like squeezing toothpaste from a tube, but, otherwise, avoid tension in your body. Don't think of vacuuming in huge quantities of air (that's for later, lol), rather allow your lungs to inflate. This doesn't eliminate inhaling, of course, but imagine the air going into your lungs like water pours into your mouth if you open it in the swimming pool! Think of filling your lungs from the bottom, up. An exercise to try: lie on the floor, relaxed, and place a book on your abdomen, sort of below your ribcage. Take long slow breaths, trying to elevate the book, not your chest. You can do this in counts, like eight slow counts to inhale and eight or twelve counts to exhale in a controlled manner. Another, to determine where to breathe: stand up, place your hands on each side--palms on your hipbones, fingers extending across your lower abdomen. Bend at the waist. Breathe deeply, feeling your hands move. Stand up again, with hands still in place. Breathe again, still feeling movement under your hands. When playing your flute, try to breathe all the way down there! Sounds confusing, but after it becomes a bit more habitual, you won't have to think about it. 8) Good luck!!! :D P.S. If you're interested in the physiology of breathing as it relates to wind players, check out books by Arnold Jacobs, former Chicago Symphony tubist. I think www.Amazon.com has them.

flute_lover

Post by flute_lover »

Thanks for the answer, but the real question is. How do you continue breathing? Do you collapse your diaphragm at the last of your breathe and breath again? Or do you keep your diaphragm inflated and without collapsing your diaphragm you breathe again? Or do you slowly collapse your diaphragm allowing more air out then breathe?

BTW I did that lie on the floor with the books on your stomach exercise.

Mango

Post by Mango »

I think what they're trying to say is not to worry about your diaphragm. Just breathe from your gut and your diaphragm will do what it does best...WORK!

MeLizzard

Post by MeLizzard »

Yeah, Mango! Again, we can't control our diaphragms. Actually, when we inhale, they contract, making room for our lungs to expand, and when we exhale, they relax. Just breathe, ok? :D P. S. Can you play your flute while lying on floor observing book? Complicated...try to lower the book gradually while playing a double whole note or something.

flute_lover

Post by flute_lover »

Ok then, i will just breath. Thanks for everything.

fhayashi

Post by fhayashi »

I don't have much flute experience, but diaphragm breathing is stressed in many sports as well.

Basically, if your belly expands when you take a breath, you're doing it right. If you tense up too much while trying to inhale, some people tense up and don't utilize all of their lung.