buying a flute

Advanced Technique, Performance Questions, Auditions, Recording, etc.

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

flute_lover

buying a flute

Post by flute_lover »

Hi,
I am going to get a flute and am wondering, what is the best brand to buy for a beginner like me, who is just starting to play??

Mango

Post by Mango »

There are several topics about this all over the boards. Do a search, but in summary, they all say to just try a bunch until you find one right for you because no flute works for everyone.

fluttiegurl

Post by fluttiegurl »

Are you just starting or have you played any before? What is your budget? If you have never played before, the best thing you can do is trust the recommendations of your teacher (if you have one) or friends.

Caroline_Fluter

Post by Caroline_Fluter »

Trevor James 10x is fantastic to start off with. Go to www.fluteworld.com to look at some models.

---caroline

flute_lover

Post by flute_lover »

fluttiegurl wrote:Are you just starting or have you played any before?

I am just starting to learn the flute and have never played before. I would like to get a Yamaha, but is it a good chouse. And if it is a good chouse, what model should I get.

fluttiegurl

Post by fluttiegurl »

Yamaha's seem to be well liked, well constructed flutes. The model 221 (I believe that is the current model number) is a good beginner flute.

flute_lover

Post by flute_lover »

Where can i get infromation on the yamaha model 221.

Caroline_Fluter

Post by Caroline_Fluter »

http://www.fluteworld.com

Go to "instruments". Go to "flutes." Go to "yamaha." The YFL-221 is listed first.

---caroline

flute_lover

Post by flute_lover »

Thanks for the information. Do you play a yamaha 221?

flute_lover

Post by flute_lover »

What about the other models of yamaha 225,265,and 285, are they also good ? And where can i get information on this models ? :?

LaDanseuse

Post by LaDanseuse »

All the beginner models of Yamaha (200s series) should be fine flutes. I own and onced played a YFL 225II, and I honestly don't know what the difference is between that and the apparently more standard 221 (got it because it was on sale... didn't know much about buying flutes back then). But really, there shouldn't be drastic differences between all these Yamaha models, especially since they are beginner instruments.

Just realize that Yamaha tends to be slightly more expensive, so if it's out of your budget range, then Armstrong is also a good choice.

fluttiegurl

Post by fluttiegurl »

The newer Yamaha's supposedly have been redesigned. Since I do not have much experience with these myself, I do not know for sure that there is any difference. A dealer once told me that the older models had some issues with one key, but some dealers will tell you anything to get you to buy a flute :? No offense to anyone here :)

flute_lover

Post by flute_lover »

What about the yamaha model 211? Is it better then the model 221?

fluttiegurl

Post by fluttiegurl »

I don't really know. Like I said, I was told this by a dealer. I would be interested to know for sure.

woodie

Flute Brand - Weimar?

Post by woodie »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows of the Weimar Silver Band Flute? I haven't heard of it before (please don't laugh). Anyway, I bought it fromf ebay for an affordable. I am dissappointed with it however because F Sharp does not work--it sounds like G. I'm thinking of returning it.

I have a 24 year old Armstrong from my junior high school years. It needs a bit of tlc. Does anyone know, roughly, how much it would cost to have a tune-up? If it's not too high, I'd probably be better off doing that then trying to buy a new flute. Thanks.