I've done this...but I want to do this!

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

pandagirl11

I've done this...but I want to do this!

Post by pandagirl11 »

Let's see just how far the flute players on this board have come. List one thing that you've worked really hard on and finally achieved as well as one thing that you're working really hard on right now and want to achieve. Encourage each other!!

I'll start.

:arrow: I managed to go from someone who didn't know which way the flute was held to someone who's playing at a Grade 6 (Canadian Conservatory) level.

:arrow: I want to learn to play with a sound similar to that of James Galway's...soft but clear. Sharp, but melodious.

Now it's your turn!!

LaDanseuse

Post by LaDanseuse »

:arrow: I went from starting quite late (in eighth grade) and without a teacher (I had two for some time, but they weren't great) to playing at the college level and even beating some others in auditions who've been playing longer and with private teachers.

:arrow: Oh, so much to work on - technique, sight reading, my high E-natural and F-sharp....

mty957

Okay I'll play...

Post by mty957 »

:arrow: I went from a person 4 years ago, who after playing for approximately 20 years, could not play by ear. I was very well trained classically, but not without music in front of me. I went to play on the church worship team and I asked where the music was and they said they didn't use it. I didn't have a clue what to do when they started playing. I left that night in tears. I stuck with it though, getting over my fears and jitters and learning to play by emotion and not by printed music. Now, 4 years later, I am playing semi-professionally with a band who does not even practice, we just "feel" each other while we play. We're getting ready to record a CD. So far it's the most gratifying music I've ever played.

:arrow: I'd like to be even better at my actual printed music, and someday play in a symphony. I'm working on that. Tryouts this month. However, there's no actual flute openings so it's mostly going through the motions. I feel that there's no pressure this way, and I will get the practice of auditioning.

That's it for me!

Jenni

Claiken

Post by Claiken »

:arrow: i went from only being able to play the concert Bb scale 1 octave to someone who can play all the scales, most in 2 octaves

:arrow: i want desprately to get better at sightreading
[img]http://img63.exs.cx/img63/7006/TrueTalent.jpg[/img]

pandagirl11

Post by pandagirl11 »

Wow...Claiken, that's awesome!! =D I'm still desperately trying to learn all my minor scales...-.-" One octave works. =) Two octaves...meh. =P Congratulations!! =) If you want tips for sight-reading, just go buy a book from somewhere, a little bit harder than you usually play, and have a blast playing through it!! =D

Claiken

Post by Claiken »

well, the minor scales do require alot more thought then the major ones, but after thought about i can play them

monkey

Post by monkey »

:arrow: I went from coming into my band REALLY late and never played before in 6th grade to now as my teacher said after 8th grade, that I was the best flue player in the band and he would miss me lots!!
:arrow: I suck at sight reading, and I am trying to be able to play this new peice that i suck at, and to play more in the summer!!
~Vanessa~
[color=deeppink]ThE[/color] [color=limegreen]fLuTe[/color][color=deeppink] RoCkS[/color][color=limegreen] mY[/color] [color=deeppink]sOcKs!![/color]

Claiken

Post by Claiken »

monkey wrote: :arrow: I went from coming into my band REALLY late and never played before in 6th grade to now as my teacher said after 8th grade, that I was the best flue player in the band and he would miss me lots!!
:arrow: I suck at sight reading, and I am trying to be able to play this new peice that i suck at, and to play more in the summer!!
~Vanessa~
i hear yah with the sight reading, i need major help, lol

omegasquarez

Post by omegasquarez »

Well... i've got more cons than pro's but

-> I learned how to do flutter tongueing and can read notes pretty OK (finally!)

-> My vibrato sounds like a uhh...potato. Even tho i try, its NOT hearable
:arrow: Attack of The Floating Blob Thingy!!! :shock:

ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

Well, here goes.

-> After four months on woodwinds, I'm now building handmade Irish flutes from PVC, and sending out models for testing this week. I can play them with some degree of proficency as well. (the prior background in composition didn't hurt anything).

-> I just bought my first boehm flute off ebay, and I'm looking forward to getting my first sounds out of it (though I look forward a lot more to getting the sounds that will come with several years of practice). Along with everyone else, I would like to get better at sight reading, as well as improving my phrasing to play those difficult rhythms found in irish music.
How did I get here?

ClariFlute

Post by ClariFlute »

:arrow: Last November i could only play up to the 1st C above the staff, now i can play up to the second B flat above the staff. I can play all the major scales by memory (most 2 octaves).

:arrow: I defintatly need to work on my high E,F, and A..Oh, and i want to be able to play all the minor scales by memory.....

silyducky

Post by silyducky »

:arrow: Lets see... i went from a person who just wanted an easy A to first chair in my advanced band and ive only been playing a year beating the people who have played for 2 years.
:arrow: I want to play fast notes soooo bad like from G# A B A G# G I kno being first chair and all i should kno how but i feel dumb... I also want to playu a G# to a high E but thats not working either. HELP! :cry:
Dont hate congradulate! <3

Band_Geek

Post by Band_Geek »

:arrow: I went from being always out of tune and could never get higher than a C in the beginning of the previous school year.

:arrow: I want to play the piccolo as good as I can the flute

juneroses

Post by juneroses »

1 - I went from being the worst player (well not worst, but bad) to someone who had their marching band music memorized and accurate before my section leaders.
2 - I want to get the hang of rythmns. It's my biggest weakness. I'd also like to get a high enough chair to audition for piccolo.