Teaching...

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

Playing 4Him

Teaching...

Post by Playing 4Him »

I am going to start teaching flute around the community...I know nothing of teaching but I know I can teach basic things like position, notes, scales, etc. Does anyone know of a good beginners book or method to use? Is flute Suzuki good?

MeLizzard

Post by MeLizzard »

Don't get me started on Suzuki--------the Trevor Wye First Flute Book and Beginner's Books for Flute are excellent.

fluttiegurl

Post by fluttiegurl »

Trevor Wye. Make sure that you are not only teaching flute, but also fundamentals of music.

piccoloprincess17

Post by piccoloprincess17 »

im a high school band student and in the summers i volunteer to teach beginners. the book we use, and the one i used growing up, is The Standard of Excellence by Bruce Pearson. hope this helped.
~sarah

Schof

Post by Schof »

What's wrong with Suzuki?

Picc_Chick

Post by Picc_Chick »

Personal favs, people tend to stick to what they like.

I would also suggest the Trevor Wye, it help me with tone quality and was easy enough to skim to understand what the colors where ment to be. That and a few fun tunes to help along the way. ;)

Other wise, easy things for begginers. Songs like 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' or 'Hot Cross Buns' would work, I think I've got the first book I ever worked out of around here someplace... *digs around*

Okay, after digging for a bit, I found the origional two I stared on:

"Alfred's Basic: Fantastic Familiar Folk Songs", Sandy Feldtein and John O'Reilly

"Standard of Excellence: Comprehensive Band Method, Book 1", Bruce Pearson

Okay, the first one was the book that taught me the notes low B flat, middle C, middle D, middle E flat, middle F, and middle G. It has all six notes with fingerings on the front cover though it tends to leave out if the tumb is down or not (same way with right pinky)

Second book I found to be tedious and dull, but I did learn scales, ranges, counting ect from it.

Hoped this helped you some!
[color=gray]
Flute ........ $1800
Uniform ........ $125
Shoes ........ $55
Winning UIL for the first time in 13 years ........ Priceless

For everything else, there's[/color] [color=red]Band[/color] [color=yellow]Parents[/color]

Playing 4Him

Post by Playing 4Him »

Could anyone tell me what company publishes the Trevor Wye and how I could find it?

MeLizzard

Post by MeLizzard »

The publisher is Novello, at Flute World, Amazon.com, or many other online sites, or from your local sheet music dealer.

makeajoyfulnoise

Post by makeajoyfulnoise »

I have been teaching in the community for several years and I am swithching to the Trevor Wye method. I found the least expensive place to get the Omnibus edition is at walmart.com. I just ordered it yesterday. Good luck!

FruityFlutie

Post by FruityFlutie »

Picc_Chick wrote:Personal favs, people tend to stick to what they like.

I would also suggest the Trevor Wye, it help me with tone quality and was easy enough to skim to understand what the colors where ment to be. That and a few fun tunes to help along the way. ;)

Other wise, easy things for begginers. Songs like 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' or 'Hot Cross Buns' would work, I think I've got the first book I ever worked out of around here someplace... *digs around*

Okay, after digging for a bit, I found the origional two I stared on:

"Alfred's Basic: Fantastic Familiar Folk Songs", Sandy Feldtein and John O'Reilly

"Standard of Excellence: Comprehensive Band Method, Book 1", Bruce Pearson

Okay, the first one was the book that taught me the notes low B flat, middle C, middle D, middle E flat, middle F, and middle G. It has all six notes with fingerings on the front cover though it tends to leave out if the tumb is down or not (same way with right pinky)

Second book I found to be tedious and dull, but I did learn scales, ranges, counting ect from it.

Hoped this helped you some!

Lol, I remember the first song I played. "I'm A Little Teapot!" :lol: And then "The IHop Hop." :D

I remember, when I first started learning, my teacher ALWAYS referenced Trevor Wye. Up until the day I stopped private lessons (our schedules were too crazy, constantly having conflicts, wasn't working out any longer), she always gave me Wye articles to read and exercises HE used to help whatever problem I was having (from clearer tone to double-tonguing). As far as I'm concerned, Trevor Wye has been a part of my flute-playing "career" since I started. And that's who I'm sticking with.

Iolaus

Re: Teaching...

Post by Iolaus »

Playing 4Him wrote:I am going to start teaching flute around the community...I know nothing of teaching but I know I can teach basic things like position, notes, scales, etc. Does anyone know of a good beginners book or method to use? Is flute Suzuki good?
I can't believe I still have it 30 years later, but I found it. What my tutor prefered as a "base" for the lessons was the "Melodious and Progressive Studies for Flute" series, by Robert Cavally. It pulls passages from classical works to use as exercises, and gets fairly rigorous by the end of third book (the one I still have), so it's a good series for an extended tutoring. There's been many time that I would be listening to something on the radio that sounded familiar, and realized that it was from my lessons, years ago.

Another book that you might think about for beginning students, is "Selected Duets for Flute, Volume 1." Beginners love to be able to do harmony peices with their teacher; it's just "fun" to them, but they're also learning to fine-tune their ability to coordinate with others.

nii_neko

Post by nii_neko »

I dont have a 3rd book yet :cry:, but Ive completed my 2nd books.Next time we go to the music shop, Im going to get my third book.I use Standard Of Excelence, is that a good practice book?
I wish I had my own tooter, even though I dont need one, I can practice good by myself.But just incase I mess up, and I dont no, cuz then i continue to play like that without noing i messed up, its happened to me quite a lot... :(

MeLizzard

Post by MeLizzard »

Each of my students has at least one Trevor Wye book (if only one, usually the tone book, even grade-schoolers). The Breathing and Scales book is helpful for many students as well. The Rubank method books--elementary, intermediate, and two advanced volumes--are quite inexpensive and good practice material, though decades old. The Essential Elements 2000 band series' third book is called Essential Technique, and includes useful material for (usually) middle-school or junior-high-aged students, or high-school students who need to review more-basic concepts. I like the Cavally books, but don't usually assign them until students are pretty good readers (eighth notes, sixteenth notes, more than three flats and sharps), with a little technique. Also check out etudes by Marquarre, Gariboldi, Moyse 24 Petites Etudes melodiques..., Drouet, Kohler, Demerssemann, and certainly Andersen (these are a little tougher!! :shock: ) There's not one correct, identical path through flute study for every player. I assign different things to almost everyone at any given time, especially solos, although, currently, I have four fairly advanced students who are all working through different sections of the Wye Complete Daily Exercises book--an excellent value for tons of material. Under $30 US still, I think. :D

nii_neko

Post by nii_neko »

Do u no where to get 1 of these books, cuz they could help me (hopefully)