Just got a flute yesterday, having breathing problems

Basics of Flute Playing, Tone Production and Fingerings, Using Metronomes, Scales, Tone, Studies, etc.

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

Mango

Just got a flute yesterday, having breathing problems

Post by Mango »

Hey there. I just got my first flute yesterday, and I noticed while I was playing it that my breathing probably wasn't correct. I'm breathing about every measure and a half or two, if I'm lucky. I play Bass Calrinet, Soprano Clarinet, and Trumpet (this one badly) as well, and I breathe well with those.

Is it just because most of the air doesn't go into the flute and I need to get used to that? Or do I need to do something to remedy this? If the latter, any advice?

I'm studying out of Baldwin publishing's Flute Student and rubank's Elementary Method, A because it shows the fingerings when you learn the notes, and B because it's supposedly one of the best, and it came with my flute (along with Rubank's Intermediate and Selected Duets, MusicAll, and some assorted sheet music).

Thank you!
Have you hugged your Bass Clarinet section today?

fluttiegurl

Post by fluttiegurl »

I have run into similar problems with students who start on different wind instruments then pick up flute. What generally works is to concentrate on focusing your airstream. Blow into a straw without letting any air escape through the corners of your mouth. Using that same idea of focus, try playing a single note on your flute (B on the staff works well). Hold the note as long as possible, breathe and play the note again. It seems to be a metter of focus simply because there is no resistance as there is with other wind instruments.

I had the opposit problem when I learned to play the oboe. I simply did not know when to stop and breathe. At first, I foumd it to be quite funny. When I got into harder music, it was a problem because I started getting horrible headsches. :lol:

powayflute01

Post by powayflute01 »

I had a similar problem when I started playing flute-- my problem was because my air stream, rather than being focused into one column, branched into two columns. Try playing in front of a mirror and watch your airstream; try to focus it into one column.
Haha, this one is my favorite: :shock:
[size=75]I <3 LXA[/size]

Claiken

Post by Claiken »

on the flute you waste 60% of your air i read... keep that in mind. all those other instruments you play, your mouth/air has direct contact with them
[img]http://img63.exs.cx/img63/7006/TrueTalent.jpg[/img]

Mango

Post by Mango »

thanks. I'm getting better now. My problem now is getting my E and D in the upper staff to come out. But I'll get it soon.

BiGSCARYMONSTER

Post by BiGSCARYMONSTER »

the flute takes a lot more air then most instrumentos