Gemeinhardt question

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

ifyougotitfluteit

Gemeinhardt question

Post by ifyougotitfluteit »

What neat site...this would have been fun when I was in high school!

I recently picked up my flute again to play in our church's contemporary service and I'm having great fun! A former band director in our group said that the Gemeinhardt company changed since my mom and dad bought me my open-holed flute (around 1983?)...that they don't make them as good as they used to??

Is this true? What is a good name now-a-days? I have a sliver-plated body, solid-silver mouth piece (head joint), in-line G, B foot flute. I think it says M3 on it. It was a nice flute "in the day". Have they changed much since then?

If I ever traded it in, I would want one just as good or better. Any recommendations? I'm not a professional, but want to sound my best in front of everyone. What would I expect to pay?

MeLizzard

Post by MeLizzard »

They've changed a lot since the '70s and '80s, and have endured a period (to the present) fraught with intonation and mechanical issues. The exception is the new 70 series, for which there will be only a few dealers nationwide. The new flutes (much better!!) are based on Koregelos' flute designs; he's no longer making handmade flutes. In decades past, there were only a few reputable brands of flutes, but there are so many now, especially if you forray into the handmade or semihandmade lines. Many of these aren't even too costly now. Try a lot of flutes before making your decision. Start with Yamaha, Armstrong, Emerson, and Trevor James for (mostly) lower-priced alternatives. Then, maybe try the Muramatsu EX (fantastic for the price-about $2600 now?), Miyazawa, Altus, and Pearl. Happy shopping! :D

bemyhero

Post by bemyhero »

I have a 50 series Gemeinhardt and have had few problems with it.
-->Laura

Mfreak2007

Post by Mfreak2007 »

Don't do Armstrong because their quality has gone way down... Right now I am playing on a Germinhart 3SHB and it is working ok. But if you want an extremely good flute go for a custom hand built model

makeajoyfulnoise

Post by makeajoyfulnoise »

Went to flute World in Novemeber and tried several Pro flutes. Fell in love with the Altus!! :D (Haynes was a distant 2nd choice.) (I'm saving to buy an Altus.)
My daugher and I both have newer model Armstron 80B's right now and mine has much better response than her's does. You really need to try the flute before you buy it.
Yamaha has a very good reputation at my daughers high school. They seem to be the most consistant with quality.
Hope this helps.

ifyougotitfluteit

Post by ifyougotitfluteit »

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies!

Well, my sweet husband bought me a new flute! We bought it off of Ebay of all places (because the seller would let me return it if I didn't like it, otherwise I wouldn't have done it). We got an excellent deal on it since it had been out on a rental for 30 days, but otherwise brand new.

I now have a Yamaha yfl-481 and it sounds absolutely wonderful, so clear and pretty. I love it. I just used it yesterday for a flute solo at church and I noticed a big difference and I got many compliments. That really made my day.

Good luck to all of you also shopping for a new flute...let me know of your results. Happy fluting!
:D