open hole flute?

Basics of Flute Playing, Tone Production and Fingerings, Using Metronomes, Scales, Tone, Studies, etc.

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

woof

open hole flute?

Post by woof »

I have heard one of the negatives of an open holed flute is the air leakage through the grooves of one fingerprints- making it necessary to push down more tightly on the keys. Is this a real problem??

fluttiegurl

Post by fluttiegurl »

I too have read about this on various forums, but have not experienced it myself or with any of my students/colleagues. I don't personally believe it is of real concern to most players.

Bryony-Jane

Post by Bryony-Jane »

I've not heard of this problem and it certainly doesn't seem to effect my playing!

woof

Post by woof »

thanks for the replies. I have not been able to find anyone who thinks this is a real problem but I have only played closed hole flutes??

apleasuretoburn

Post by apleasuretoburn »

Personally, I can actually say that I did have this problem when I started playing on an open-holed flute. I just jumped right in without using any of the plugs first, and in my attempts to cover up every hole I would push down on them much harder than I needed to, resulting in a LOT of tension in my hand which I had to correct later. It's really just a matter of having good hand positioning. You need to find a position for your hands that allows all the holes to be covered but feels comfortable and natural to you, so that you never feel the need to stretch your fingers or create any sort of tension. It's just better to try and do it as soon as you get your flute, and get an instructor to help you with this, because it's harder to correct later on!

tiffloser

Post by tiffloser »

The past couple of weeks I have been experimenting with the open holes on my flute and within the first couple of days, I had been experiencing slight pains in my hand. Leakage is common while beginning with the open holed flute but after you get used to it, the leakage stops. I recommend using very light fingers to cover the holes and not to create tension in your hands.

rikk22

Post by rikk22 »

i only had problems with my open holes when u was trying out flutes in the shop

but when i got home i took them all out because my friend told me so (im such a push over) and although there were some in the first 10 minutes..i managed to play every scale and music i got without occasionaly leakage..lol

i think my posture was ok and my hands were properly on the flute (my friend reassures me) probabaly i dont know... :D

woof

woof

Post by woof »

Thanks again for the replys. Since I posted this I have had the opportunity to try several flutes with open holes. Interestingly I found the transition was very easy on two brands but difficult on a third- the spacing of the keys was the main factor.- so I think brand does make a difference. Also the easier the low C/B mechanism worked the less problem I had- if it was a little tighter then I often had a little leakage and airy sounds. I still have problems with fast pieces but I think time and practice will help that problem.

Phineas

Post by Phineas »

woof

There is an easy way to get use to playing on an open hole inline flute. Try starting out on a Tranverse Bamboo flute first. Bamboo flutes sound cool, but they are not very forgiving. After a week on a Bamboo flute, an open hole is easy!

Phineas