gemeinhardt or jupiter??

Flute History and Instrument Purchase

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

Jo_Nathan51

gemeinhardt or jupiter??

Post by Jo_Nathan51 »

hey guys, im a jazz major(sax) at Ohio State. Im looking at getting a flute and found great deals on both of these instruments and since this is my first flute, dont really know which would be the best:
Jupiter JFL 611-r or the Gemeinhardt 3shb My teacher plays, and is sponsered by gem so he can get me a good deal. and ive read alot of good things about the good tone of the jupiter. although ive read jupiter has a brighter sound, i tend to like a dark warmer sound. would this change the results?? Thanks everyone for your help!!!

tiffloser

Post by tiffloser »

I have the gemeinhardt and it works brilliantly for me. The tone is deep and nice.

fluttiegurl

Post by fluttiegurl »

I have had students on both of the instruments that you listed, and both have been fine. Jupiter has not had the best reputation until recently. Their flutes seem to be well made now. One student owned Gemeinhardt did have some adjustment issues, but it was fixed with no major problems. Both flutes do have quite different sounds (as you mentioned). It mostly comes down to preference. Play both and buy what you like. Have others listen to you. If you are a beginner, have an experienced player play both so that you can get an idea of the difference. Just realize that everyone will have a different result.

mrc01

Re: gemeinhardt or jupiter??

Post by mrc01 »

Jo_Nathan51 wrote: Jupiter JFL 611-r or the Gemeinhardt 3shb
I've played both of these flutes. Both are good flutes that will serve you well.

The Jupiter has a better scale (easier to play in tune). That's the most important objective difference between them. You may not notice the difference in scale/intonation while playing solo. Bring along a tuning meter or somebody else to play along with you to really see or hear it. You'll find that either flute can be played in tune, but the 3shb requires a bit more embouchure work bending pitch to get certain notes in tune.

At least that is my experience - your mileage may vary.