Difference Between Yamaha Professional Model Flutes

Flute History and Instrument Purchase

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

musical_Kat

Post by musical_Kat »

I don't really play with specific groups that often anymore....it's usually just gigs here and there as they come so you never really know who you are going to be playing with at any given time. If I had the time I would definitely find a local group to perform with but as a stay at home mom and only a part time musician my time is already stretched so thin I don't see where I could possibly fit in a group setting on a regular basis.

Phineas

Post by Phineas »

Artist in general tend to be excentric knuckleheads. So what. If you really think about it, most people in the world are not your friends.

Here is my rule of thumb for people. I can get along with anyone. But you can only take people so far, and everyone has a different level. I have 3 "good associates".

The first rides motor cycles in a gang and does drugs.
The other one think the whole world is against them.
and last a person that thinks drama is a normal part of live.

The first person I like to ride with, and work on bikes with, but past that, we do not agree, so we do not go there. We get along because he respect the fact that I do not do drugs, and party like he does. I respect the way he is, and just leave when things got to far.

The second person is a good person to be miserable with, but I would never go around him when I am happy!

The third person is this lady I know. When it come to cooking, we can talk..but past that, she likes to gossip and spread rumors. She knows not to go there with me, and I do not go their with her!

Mutual respect turns out to be the biggest problem with artists. Artists often want to be different, but complain because everyone does not think like them or see their vision. This sound hypacritical to me.

This is how I deal with playing with music groups. I do not play with music groups to make close friends, I just get into groups to play, make money, etc.... As long as it does not get too personal, I can usually find away to get along with everyone at least to a point. Flutist/Flautist are no different than any other humans.

Remember, in the end it is all about the music!

As far a playing in a section or group with mostly ladies is down right comical! The all hate each other!.... I remember one gospel group I played with. 6 women, 2 men. The ladies would call the other guy and I up one by one, all hors of the night and just completely dog out(Talk badly) about the other 5. The leader of the the group, one of the ladies, got no respect from the other women at all. It was a wonder how they got the group started in the first place. I think ladies feel more comfortable with their enemies close...lol What a drama scene that was!

Phineas

sidekicker

Post by sidekicker »

musical_Kat wrote:I don't know...maybe it's a guy thing....maybe all the testosterone keeps the bickering and nagging at bay. LOL....who knows... :shock:
At the risk of sounding sexist, I believe you are correct. I thought about that statement and, come to think of it, cannot think of a single male flutist (and I've known many) that I was in a studio with or played with in an ensemble that engaged in the type of conduct mentioned here. I guess men are wired differently and, overall, tend to be less bothered by those things.

SK

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

sidekicker wrote:
musical_Kat wrote:I don't know...maybe it's a guy thing....maybe all the testosterone keeps the bickering and nagging at bay. LOL....who knows... :shock:
At the risk of sounding sexist, I believe you are correct. I thought about that statement and, come to think of it, cannot think of a single male flutist (and I've known many) that I was in a studio with or played with in an ensemble that engaged in the type of conduct mentioned here. I guess men are wired differently and, overall, tend to be less bothered by those things.

SK
Yes and no. This is [in my experiance] the usual behaviour if there is a guy in the studio, but mine is slightly the exception. There is certainly drama in my studio, and I hate it. Although, usually, I am not involved, or if I am, it is just because THEY decided to start up trouble. I typically get out of it ASAP. I just can't tolerate drama. So, for example: A friend of mine in the flute studio lost her dad a few weeks ago. Because she and I are very similiar in personality, I did what I would want, and gave her plenty of space. So, here I am on facebook.com [like myspace for those who arent familiar with it], and keep in mind I hadn't spoken to her in almost 2 weeks. Posted on her blog was a rant about me, and how unfeeling I was and how she didnt want me to say anything comforting to her.

This was completely shocking seeing as how I hadn't spoken to her in weeks, and even then, it was just appropriate heartfelt words at the news about her father. So, I sent her an email apologizing for anything I might have done to upset her, and I politely asked her to edit my name out of that rant to keep things private. But no. She published my email in her blog and absolutely humiliated me. Knowing that she was likely to repeat the same behaviour, I wrote her another email again apologizing for anything I had done, and asked that she A: edit my name out of the rant, and B: take my private email to her down because I wouldnt have treated her that way.

Well, she did it again, and carried the humiliation higher. So, I just cut off contact, because I was not A: going to fool with someone who irrationally abuses someone, and B: I hate drama like nobody's business. I just stopped. I was not going to fool with this ordeal, and foolishly waste my time.

So, this just goes to show that there are some exceptions to that saying. I hate drama and avoid it at all costs, but every now and then, a tidal wave drowns me it it. :roll: I guess it is probably the fact that several of them feel quite threatened by me [they keep trying to squash me, and try to make me feel like I am not as good as a player as they are..... oh well. I don't really care.] :::shakes head:::

But, for the most part, I do agree with you sidekicker. It is quite unusual [or I haven't seen much of it] for a guy flutist to get wrapped up in drama for very long, if ever.

sidekicker

Post by sidekicker »

I know we have drifted way way far off topic, but I want to comment on your situation, Fluteguy.

There is no excuse whatsoever for the improper behavior of your now-former friend. She definitely handled that quite badly. However, I would humbly suggest something to you should a similar situation arise in the future. People who are hurting normally prefer at least some initial acknowledgment of their pain. Even when there is nothing we can do about it to make it better (as with the loss of a parent, child, etc.), sometimes just stepping into someone else's circle of pain for a brief moment will do wonders for them. Unilaterally deciding that she would want what you would (to be left alone to grieve in private) was probably a poor call on your part. IMO, it would have been much better to have at least let her know why you were leaving her alone from the outset. Failure to do that obviously communicated to her that you didn't care at all. She apparently did want her friends around; so you were incorrect in your assessment. I'm not saying you deserve the treatment you got. What she's done is at the most childish level. But there was a way to potentially avoid that if it had been handled a little differently in the beginning. And don't forget this is someone probably still entrenched in a huge amount of grief. People in that situation often do things they normally wouldn't because their judgment is clouded by the tragedy. Again, it doesn't excuse it. But it does explain it.

Just my thoughts having been through this type of situation several times in my life.

SK

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

I understand what you are saying exactly sidekicker. I did tell her early on that I was going to giver her space, and she said that she really appreciated it. She had made comments that it was hard enough "entertaining" people during the week that her dad died and the funeral, and that she was glad that I understood that she just wanted space and privacy. But at that time, she clearly understood that I cared about how she was doing, but that I knew she wanted space and that I was giving it to her.

Sorry I didn't convey that in my initial post. But I did make the effort to let her know that she could talk to me any time. So, she might have changed her mind afterward, but thought that I should come to her to comfort her. I don't really know though. She does have some issues with "flip-flopping" if you catch my drift. For example: she got a degree in pre-law, then decided that she wanted to do music instead, so came back to get her 2nd undergrad degree in music. She decided that she wanted to rush SAI [music sorority for those who don't know], then decided she didn't want them to have any control on any part of her life so wrote a series of blogs [like in this case recently with me] really B****ing them out, and then quit. My "Summer" flute prof used to teach her in high school and thinks she is 'unbalanced' mentally. So, this could be part of it. I am just glad that she is undergoing grief therapy right now.

So, it sounds to me [and several others who know her] that she has some underlying mental issues that haven't been resolved.

But I definately understand what you are saying sidekicker, and I am sorry I didn't include those details. I didn't necc. think they were pertinent because I wasn't expecting that to change subject in the thread. But I took every precaution to show that I cared, that I was there for her if she wanted me, but otherwise I was going to give her some space because I could tell that she wanted it.

All I can do now, is pray for her and forgive her because she isn't quite herself. Now, that isn't saying that I am going to forgive and forget entirely [because to forget and not remember it for future reference is like "forgive and be stupid because they might do it again"] but I will forgive, and keep her at an arm's distance now.

kflutist

Post by kflutist »

It's unfortunate how blogs can be used so viciously and alot of times it is very hard to tell what people want/need when they have suffered such a loss.
I'm not saying that there was anything that you could have done to prevent what happened. I don't exactly know how facebook works but it sounds to me alot like xanga or livejournal if anyone knows what they are. I know that it hurts when someone attacks you like that, I've been subjected to it several times by several individuals, but what I've found that what seems to work best (at least in my case) is if you just kind of ignore it and brush it off. She might view it as you being more unfeeling but you know that you aren't and those who know you can form their own opions. Given time and space she or anybody else similar might come back around.

I'm not saying that you should have thought of this or that it would have changed anything, you did what you thought was best. Its just my thoughts nothing else.

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

I do agree. Blogs do have the ability to give the wrong impression.

Well, not to be rude or anything, but this is an issue that has passed, and discussing it any further will only make me think about it. This person was a very dear friend to me, and it was rather hurtful. So, if no one has problems with it, I would like to stop discussion of this because it is part of my personal life away from this board.

Not meaning to be mean, but this was a private issue that I was just using for example. It wasn't meant to be a subject change.

I do however appreciate all of your thoughts on this issue, and it means a lot that people I haven't met in person are willing to offer advice on such a topic. But, because it is private, and it has resolved [almost completely if not entirely], I would really appreciate it if discussion of this would cease. If you wish to discuss or give advice, you are welcome to send me a PM, but I would like to keep the rest of this private.

Thank you.

Back to the topic.

Flutes. Yamaha flutes to be exact. 500, 600 and 700 series.

kflutist

Post by kflutist »

Much understood. As far as the flutes go I think that the cost of the flute should be proportionate to the amount the individual has to spend and the use that they will be getting out of it. For example, a person who only plays occasionally does not need to go out and get a 14k rose gold flute. An extreme example but I hope my point can be seen.

Konstantin

Post by Konstantin »

Kflutist, you make a good point, and one I should keep in mind when buying a new flute. I want a flute that plays well, but at the same time, I am not as much "into" flute playing as many people here on this board. I play for fun, a couple of times per week, and probably never will be a truly dedicated flute player.

Thank all of you for your comments.

FltnPicc_David

Post by FltnPicc_David »

This is sort of funny. I just got into the Patel Conservatory Youth Symphony and for the weeks we waite don audition results to be released online, my friend and just spoke about how the section might turn out. She was in it last season and was with two male flutists and she loved it that way. My friend is very humble about her talent and chooses not to flaunt the fatc that she is good but other female flutists like to bring it up and twist it into ocnflicts for some reason. So the two male flutists in the symphony both graduated and she was seriously freaking out. "David, if you don't make it...I think I'm going to die. I need you there to kill off some drama if it should arise." My friend hates drama and so do I. She's very glad that I made it with her. She tells me have a male in the seciton does wonders to keep hostility at bay and she finds that male flutists make the experience a lot more fun...it's a bit odd that she feels this way.

andy957

General impression about this thread...

Post by andy957 »

I follow this board routinely, because I'm just embarking on my trip into the flute world (although I am a conservatory-trained pianist/bassoonist). I have to say, and I don't stay this lightly, that I'm SO impressed by the maturity, professionalism, intelligence, and insight offered by the people here. This thread in particular seems to really show how generous people can be in sharing their experiences, recommendations, without being pushy or saying "do this, do that". It's so refreshing.