Yet another fingering question...

Basics of Flute Playing, Tone Production and Fingerings

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

Dusk

Yet another fingering question...

Post by Dusk »

For Gb and F#, should the fingering be 123|3P or 123|2P. (Not sure if that was proper fingering notation or whatever, but it should be easy to figure out what I meant.) They produce slightly different pitches for me, with 123|3P obviously being slightly sharper. Oddly though, they have identical tone quality. I hope to figure this out soon, but I'm not mindlessly following my book if it turns out to be wrong. :?
Honor is for the living; death has none.

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

Use the " 123 3 P" Fingering. The one using the right hand middle finger generally has problems with intonation.

arabians207

Post by arabians207 »

My flute teacher almost always prefers us to use 123l2p because its more in tune (bringing the pitch down is usually good because F#/Gb tends to be a sharper note on most flutes) and tone wise its usually the same, maybe better.

atoriphile

Post by atoriphile »

Well, each flute (and flutist) is different. On my flute, there is a significant difference in both tone and intonation. I use the third finger of the right hand fingering for all but the fastest passages.

androfire

Post by androfire »

If I use my ring finger I can't get a decent sound out. The sound sounds higher than an ordinary g with a ring finger, and just doesn't sound like a proper note. But when I use the middle finger the note comes out pretty well.
2nd year of playing the flute.