The sticky pads won't go away with a certain key

Basics of Flute Playing, Tone Production and Fingerings

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

androfire

The sticky pads won't go away with a certain key

Post by androfire »

Well, my flute has a sticky pad on the foot joint.
I think it's the E flat key.
It's the key by the little roller, not below it, the one to the left of it.

Well, like advised in the faq thing, I used ungummed cigarette paper. I do what it says in the faq, and I do it for a little bit and it's gone.
Well I play for about a minute and boom bada bing, it's back.
So I clean it again, then the next minute it's back.
I do that process about 10 more times, and it just wants to stay.

What should I do?
2nd year of playing the flute.

candi

Post by candi »

One trick is using a clean dollar bill instead of rolling paper.

Candi

fluttiegurl

Post by fluttiegurl »

I strongly do not advise using a dollar bill. Even the newest of bills have passed through many hands and will have oils on them than can harm your pads. They are also pretty thick and course, which can rip a pad. There are several special papers designed for pads. I advise looking into that option.

For this particular problem, it sounds like you pad is dirty and may need to be cleaned by a tech.

pied_piper

Post by pied_piper »

I agree with flutiegurl. The old "dollar bill trick" is used by sax players because sax pads are made of leather which is MUCH tougher than the goldbeater skin used on flute pads. Using a dollar bill under flute pads is just an invitation to visit your flute tech. Flute pads are just too delicate and can be torn by pulling a dollar bill between the pad and tone hole.

If using cigarette paper does not get rid of the stickiness, it's probably time to have it checked professionally.
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--

vampav8trix

Post by vampav8trix »

OUCH!! Never pull paper through your flute pads. Place the paper under the key and tap the key.

Please don't use dollar bills. They are dirty and will make the problem worse.

Try this. Go to the music store and get some powdered paper for cleaning pads. First use the cigerette paper and tap the key until it is dry. Then make sure you use the correct side of the powdered paper and tap the key a few times.

Try it for a couple of days.

If this doesn't work, take it to a flute tech.

NEVER pull papers across the flute pads. You can tear the skins they are very delicate.

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

[quote="vampav8trix"]
Try this. Go to the music store and get some powdered paper for cleaning pads. First use the cigerette paper and tap the key until it is dry. Then make sure you use the correct side of the powdered paper and tap the key a few times.

quote]

This is only a temporary fix, and will in fact make the problem worse over time. Trust me on this, I know several individuals [including myself] who have had this happen. While this works initially, over time, the powder builds up and makes the pads even more sticky. Here is what I was told to do by my tech at Miyazawa:

Purchase a product called: JL Smith Pad Juice. It comes with cloth applicators. Pad Juice is a cleaning agent designed for cleaning pad skins without damaging them. You put a few drops of the cleaning fluid on an applicator, and put it under the pad. Close the key, and let it sit for a few seconds so that the fluid can dissolve whatever is on the pad skin. Give it a LIGHT pull to dislodge the sticky substances. Open the key, and remove the damp applicator. Repeat with a dry CLEAN applicator.

This is what technitians typically do when they are faced with sticky pads. You can purchase this product from: JL Smith Company, Carol Nussbaum, or Miyazawa Flutes. I personally recommend either JL Smith Co, or Carol Nussbaum. With Miyazawa, they can sell it to you, but they give you specific instructions [or at least they did with me] on how to use the product on Straubinger pads because they are very easily damaged.

candi

Post by candi »

When I recommended a dollar bill, I said a clean one. Uncirculated bills are fairly easy to get at any bank. And they're NOT paper, contrary to popular belief, but a very tightly woven cloth, so won't leave behind fibers, which paper can do. Even rolling papers are, well, paper, so they can possibly leave minute fibers on the pads. And no, don't pull it thru. Just dab. Many people use clean bills with no ill effects on the pads but they do have to be clean.

Candi

fluttiegurl

Post by fluttiegurl »

I had a student with the same opinion. She had to replace all of her pads because they were torn and dirty after a year. Other than using what she thought was a clean dollar bill, she did everything else pretty much as I do. They are, in my opinion, just too thick. I have talked to many top techs over the years and they all have the same opinion, but that is just an opinion.

To each his own.

atoriphile

Post by atoriphile »

A few things about dollar bills:

1. The texture is not very smooth (even for crisp brand new dollar bills). I wouldn't trust that on my pads.

2. They are designed to repel dirt and grease. I don't see how they would pick up any dirt or grease off the pads.

3. They are made of paper, just a cotton and linen blend paper. Take a look at the red and blue fibers in a dollar and you will see that it is not like woven cloth.

I personally use non-powdered Yamaha pad paper. For particularly sticky pads, I put a little lighter fluid on the paper (which evaporates later). I wouldn't do this on a regular basis, though. I'm sure the "pad juice" would be better, but lighter fluid is a lot easier to find.

Good luck!

P.S. -

And do be careful with the lighter fluid. You wouldn't want this to happen:

sunshineflute

Post by sunshineflute »

candi wrote:When I recommended a dollar bill, I said a clean one. Uncirculated bills are fairly easy to get at any bank.

Candi
I used to work at a bank and even though a bill can look clean and "uncirculated" - it doesn't mean it is. I have seen bills look very clean and crisp that have passed through several hands. I unfortunately use to use bills to unstick my pads when I was in high school. Hope I didn't damage them :( !