Need a solo with two contrasting movements

Advanced Technique, Performance Questions, Auditions, Recording, etc.

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

etgohomeok

Need a solo with two contrasting movements

Post by etgohomeok »

I need to play two contrasting movements of a flute solo for an audition coming up soon. I'm looking for something with a considerable difficulty level, but I don't have much time to learn it, so nothing too fancy.

I've been able to find Sonata in a Minor by C.P.E Bach, which seems OK, but I've never done an audition like this so I don't exactly know what they want when they say 'contrasting.' I'm assuming it means slow/fast or major/minor or something like that.

Any ideas?

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

Typically, contrasting is used in the sense of tempo, technique, time period and overall style.

So... use your imagination!

sunshineflute

Post by sunshineflute »

It may not be as difficult as you are looking for, but I used this in the past. The Bach Sonata in C Major, the 2nd and 3rd movements - the Allegro and the Adagio. I find them to be very contrasting. One is fast and more upbeat, the other is slow and more sorrowful. Just an idea...

sonatine

Post by sonatine »

if they are asking two contrasting movements of a concerto, they normally mean one fast one slow. why not use a mozart concerto? first movement and then second movement. very standard and good for auditions.

etgohomeok

Post by etgohomeok »

Thanks sonatine, but this was five months ago. The audition's passed (it was successful, I made it in).