Anyone tried the SR (Star River) Alto Flute? Any Good?

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

Star_Lang5571

Anyone tried the SR (Star River) Alto Flute? Any Good?

Post by Star_Lang5571 »

I've been scouring the web for good alto flutes for decent prices and I've found a few flutes by a wooden flutemaker based in China called Star River. I've watched and read a few things so I know it's legit and you do actually get a flute, but I wanted to know if the flutes you got were actually worth the money because this sort of seems too good to be true. The thing that made me sceptical at first was the fact that she (it's a woman that makes them) only distributes via eBay (the link to the flute I'd be interested in buying is here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/140523706956) and as far as I know that you don't get a trial period like you would with most music shops (although I’m not too well-versed in the world of eBay, being 14). Has anyone here bought one of these flutes, or failing that knows someone who has, and if so was it decent? I'm not saying it must be *chef's kiss* splendiferous, just an alto that will last me.

For people who haven't done any of this; what good, cheap(ish) altos would you recommend? My budget is about 3,000€ maximum but would much prefer to spend less. Thank you!

pied_piper

Re: Anyone tried the SR (Star River) Alto Flute? Any Good?

Post by pied_piper »

The gold source for alto and bass flute info is Chris potter's Low Flutes web site. She regularly tests many alto and bass flutes and posts her recommendations. You can find it here:

ALTO, BASS & CONTRABASS RECOMMENDATIONS
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--